Aliens in the Barn

Monday, February 3, 2014

Why Triberr Scared Me

There are about 25 people who follow my blog. I'm pretty comfortable with that number. It's not intimidating and I know most of them.

Enter Triberr...

When Triberr first started, I jumped right in. I joined the SFR Brigade tribe, then started getting invites to others, all of which I joined. Next thing I know, there's a reach of about three million people.

Once that sank in, I froze up.

Three. Million. People.

Have three million people flocked to follow my blog? Not at all. Have millions come to read each of my blog posts? Nope. But it has resulted in more traffic and the potential is still there.

It scared me so much that I stopped posting much of anything on my blog. What if people don't like what I post? What if I say something stupid? Even scarier still, what if they find out about my stories, read them, and then post on their blogs about how much they hate them? What if, gasp, they find out I'm human?

The internet can be a wild, scary place.

When sharing other people's blog posts through Triberr, I started noticing that people are generally just being people. They post about what they want and no one belittles them for that. In fact, it attracts interest. That's what it is supposed to do, right? And for every ten or so people that love a story, there's going to be one hater. The whole world isn't going to start hating on every story they read.

So, here I am. It's a new year and I'm entering a new stage with my writing. I'm no longer going to allow myself to be frightened by Triberr, but embrace what it has to offer. I'm going to let it do what it's supposed to do and let myself write and post without intimidation or fear of what the exposure can bring.

Besides, I'm always sharing posts by others through Triberr, so why not give myself the opportunity for others to share more posts by me?

Go blog!

4 comments:

  1. I think thats a real fear many people have. Im glad you've made peace with it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to pinch myself for a second. Did Dino Dogan, the founder of Triberr, just comment on my blog? Why, yes...Yes, he did. :) How did you even find this post? Wait, don't answer that...I don't want to know. :P (I'm sure you see every stream, but, jeez, that must be an insane number of posts.)

      You, sir, are a machine! As the creator of such a huge thing, you must have multi-millions talking to you online. And I've noticed how active you are. Only a machine could keep up the way you do; that's the only explanation. ;) (kidding, of course)

      Thank you for taking the time to comment and I'm learning that I'm not the only one with this fear. It took awhile to make peace with, but I finally got there.

      Delete
  2. Glad I stopped to read this! I agree that many people (including myself) have this fear. Glad you brought it up, it let's me know I am not alone! : )

    See you around Triberr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you stopped to read too! We are not alone!

      Delete