Aliens in the Barn

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Good News and Great News

So, as a follow up of my last post before I continue on with this one, it appears that replying to people on a blog isn't a straight forward endeavour. That makes me sad that it isn't so easy. I'm used to deviantart.com where a reply goes to the inbox of the person you're replying to, or even fanfiction.net where notes go straight to your email. That does not happen here. It seems you have to go back to the blog entry you left a comment on to see if the person replied to you or not. Maybe people who blog don't want to have to start comment threads with people; I don't know.

Whatever the case, I have some good news. Remember my 'Don't Quit Your Day Job' post? Well, I finally have a job again! For the last three weeks, I've been gainfully employed. The first week was a survey to find the location of the Washington-Rochambeau camp near Ft. Belvoir in Virginia along their Revolutionary War Route. We did not find the camp while I was there, but I did find part of an iron pot from the same period that was pretty cool. Then, all of a sudden, I get a call from another company offering me a full time position with them.

Ever hear the term 'When it rains it pours?' That's about what happened. As soon as I got serious about my books and began to think Archaeology was over for me forever, I get calls from two different companies. The unfortunate thing about the company working on the Revolutionary War site was that they only hired me for that one week. The project was getting extended, but they couldn't guarantee more work for me once that project was over. So, when another company called and offered a full time position with no end to projects in sight, I took the opportunity (no way I was going to turn that down and no one blamed me one bit).

The first two weeks with that company was a survey for a water line at Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia. It was certainly nowhere near as exciting as the Revolutionary War project, but it was one of the best crews I've worked with in a long while. We had such a great time! Nine times out of ten, a project can be made or broken by the crew you're working with and I couldn't have been happier. Of course, I probably would have been happy with anyone considering my elation at having a job at all:)

Currently, on my third week with this company, I'm in Delaware on an investigation of sites for a road re-alignment. So far, I'm loving this crew as well. Considering my past experience, we haven't found much in way of artifacts so far, but we did find a projectile point (arrow head) today.

It was very interesting today because I told this crew about my writing. It was like we all just clicked and could tell each other the things we wouldn't usually tell anyone when you first meet them. It also appears I'm going to be with this crew for a long while, traveling with them from project to project, so I'm very excited about that. They are all easy to get along with and very open to people's eccentricities.

Remember when I said I get a lot of inspiration to write while on a dig? The great news is that the inspiration is flowing big time:)

2 comments:

  1. it's always nice to get a group you just click with, wish i had that with my platoon, but i'm surviving, best of luck with your work

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get a good group eventually, and thank you:)

    ReplyDelete